Author Topic: Greek DNA  (Read 3779 times)

UnderGrounder

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greek DNA
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:41:32 AM »
Subject: [DNA] Greek DNA projects first R2 ( M124+ ) member
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:52:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello List,

An individual joined the project today - his paternal line is from Asia Minor and judging from his surname he has Pontic Greek ancestry.

FTDNA had carried out a backbone test and he is R2 ( M124 + )

He is the Greek DNA projects first R2 haplogroup member.

That is all I can say at the moment.

Best regards,
Costa Tsirigakis

Founder and admin Greek DNA project

www.greekdnaproject.net

Source: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/genealogy-dna/2008-06/1214427129
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:17:13 AM by UnderGrounder »
Y-DNA Haplogroup: R2a3 (L1069+)
Arab from Kuwait, Arabian Peninsula
Kit#: 130481
Ysearch ID: 4J4DH

Rhyndakos

• View Profile
Re: rootsweb subject: Greek DNA projects first R2 ( M124+ ) member
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »
Hi,

this particular Greek is me. Hello and thanks for this forum, I was looking for a long time for sth like this because I also think that our haplogroup is much too unknown and especially too often postmarked as simply "Indian"..what it definitely is not to some extent.

To make a little correction this side of me is not from Pontus, but western Asia Minor, from a village near Bursa, south of Istanbul (Constantinople).

I have only two 10/12 matches, one with an Armenian and one with a Lebanese, while the Lebanse has the haplogroup G!!!
Because of that Im of the opinion that this side of mine belongs clearly to the small 5% of non-indian (non-pakistan and other south asian etc.) R2 members! Besides this side of me didnt look indian at all...they were actually whiter than average Greek...and more more than average Asia Minor Greek. I exclude gypsy ancestry to 100%.

Where are you from? I see Italians? I saw some Italians with this haplogroup in some italian projects.

I guess that my ancestor must have been a R2 man who settled to Asia Minor thousands of years ago and got hellenized and christianized once...most probably in the Byzantine era. But of course thats just a speculation.
Y-DNA: R2, Greek ancestor from Apolloniada Prousas, todays Gölyazi Bursa, Turkey.

mt-DNA: H, Greek (arv.) ancestor from Narkissos in Preveza, Greece.

maternal Y-DNA: I2a, Greek (arv.) ancestor from Kastri in Preveza, Greece.

faternal mt-DNA: V, Greek ancestor from Kastoria, Greece.

Rhyndakos

• View Profile
Re: rootsweb subject: Greek DNA projects first R2 ( M124+ ) member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:32:05 PM »
Another Greek with R2 according to a study consisting of 57 samples, from Sesklo-Dimini in central Greece.

http://dienekes.110mb.com/articles/greeknry/king08.jpg

source: http://dienekes.110mb.com/articles/greeknry/
Y-DNA: R2, Greek ancestor from Apolloniada Prousas, todays Gölyazi Bursa, Turkey.

UnderGrounder

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Greek DNA
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
Hey, Rhyndakos,

Can you post all of your available DYS values (You, the Armenian, and the Lebanese)?

You can also email Dienekes Pontikos to provide you with the DYS values of the Greek that was included in his research!

His email can be found in his website: http://dienekes.110mb.com

Rhyndakos

• View Profile

UnderGrounder

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:30:39 AM »
Comparing between Greek DNA (26ZDJ) and Armenian DNA (4RP49)

13   23   16   10   14   19   12   12   11   14   11   31
13   22   16   10   14   19   12   12   10   14   11   31

Time to Most Recent Common Ancestor = 930 Years according to FTDNA Mutation Rate.

Note: More markers need to be tested to give closer estimation of the TMRCA.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:33:51 AM by UnderGrounder »

Rhyndakos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:50:48 AM »
930 years, means 11th century...
Not bad, thank you man. :D

I had tested 37 markers and I wont make an upgrade now because as you can see I dont have any full match and the Armenian has done a 12 marker test only. And I canot ask him to make an upgrade in order to see how close exactly we are related to each other. ;D

I would so much want to have a 12/12 match finally.  :-\

UnderGrounder

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »
Map of Greece

Rhyndakos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
Ah my beautiful Greece. :)

Rhyndakos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
I have prepared a map of the Byzantine empire...and the spread of the Greek language back then...(beginning of the middle age).

"X" is where the village of my faternal grandfather lies.....Armenia...was more western back then....the greatest part of historical Armenia and the original home of the Armenians belongs to Turkey today...most of the Armenians living there (till the beginning of the 20th century) were either expeled or massacred...remember the Armenian genocide.
"Pontos" was the most eastern lying grecophone region...there are still today some people who speak this Greek dialect of these people. But most of them left for Greece either by expulsion...or after the 1922 population exchange-treaty between Greece and Turkey.

Rhyndakos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:27:52 PM »
An interesting wikipedia-article which could be interesting for my paternal ancestry.

Regardless, many Armenians became successful in the Byzantine Empire. One out of five Byzantine emperors and empresses were ethnically Armenian or half-Armenian; although culturally Greek. The best example of this is emperor Heraclius, whose father was Armenian and mother Cappadocian. Emperor Heraclius began the Heraclean Dynasty (610-717). Basil I is another example of an Armenian beginning a dynasty; the Macedonian dynasty. Other great emperors were Romanos I, John I Tzimiskes, and Nikephoros II.

Armenia made great contributions to Byzantium through its troops of soldiers. The empire was in need of a good army as it was constantly being threatened. The army was relatively small never exceeding 150,000 men. The military was sent to different parts of the empire, and which took part in the most fierce battles and never exceeded 20,000 or 30,000. men.

At that time the Armenians served side by side with the Scandinavians who were in the Byzantine army. This first encounter between the Armenian mountain-dwellers and the northern people has been discussed by Nansen, who brings these two elements closer to each other and records: “It was the Armenians who together with our Scandinavian forefathers made up the assault units of Byzantine.”

This is very interesting, too. In the Greek DNA-project there are three haplogroup I1 people. I1 in Greece is thought to derive from such scandinavian soliders during byzantine times...this goes especially for those found in Thrace (region around Constantinople)...one of them in the project is from Limnos, an island in front of the Dardanelles...not that far away from Constantinople. I could be an armenian pendant to these scandinavians...as a descendant of such a soldier. Of course there will be many more Greeks with an Armenian ancestor but since haplogroup R2 is almost non-existent among Greeks and occurs only among 1:50 Armenians...my case is very special and precious...since it immediately suggests the armenian theory through my haplogroup. While the average armenian is G...or R1b..or J2...just like the average Greek.

My ancestor could be such a soldier who fought for the byzantine empire in the middle age...this explains also why my gramp was from a village of western Asia Minor and not from somewhere in the east where the armenians were originally from. I could of course also be a descendant of an emperor... ;D...but probably not. :P
I think I have to wait for further results from Armenians (who do hardly do testings) and of course Greeks from Asia Minor though. Nevertheless its an interesting thought which I wanted to share with you.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Armenia
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:31:20 PM by Rhyndakos »

Vart

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 01:47:30 AM »
930 years, means 11th century...

I had tested 37 markers and I wont make an upgrade now because as you can see I dont have any full match and the Armenian has done a 12 marker test only. And I canot ask him to make an upgrade in order to see how close exactly we are related to each other. ;D

Of course you can :)

Rhyndakos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 03:28:45 AM »
Hey bro, welcome to the forum! :)

An upgrade would be great...I have already ordered a 67 upgrade by now...because it will possibly help to identify just another R2-cluster.